Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Man I Love (HE'S JEWISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(This is a note I wrote in July of 2007 and posted on my facebook account.)

I’ve been thinking a lot about love. Recently a close friend of mine decided to give up absolutely everything for the guy she loves. I’ve been wondering precisely why.

Have you ever listened to a girl explain why her love is the most amazing person on the face of the planet? It’s fascinating. When I was little, I made a list of all the things I wanted in “The One.” It was quite detailed with two columns…one was requirements and the other preferences. I found this the other day and it made me laugh. I wanted some rather surprising things… =)

What ARE the qualities you would want in someone, someone you’d lay down your life for day after day? Someone you’d give everything for?

It hit me like a lightning bolt; there is someone I care about like that! I’ve given the Lord my future, my life, my heart, my ambitions, my dreams, my everything. Why? The obvious answer, “because He first loved me” seemed dissatisfactory somehow. That’s what initially made me love Him, but now that I know Him better, why? I could live my life as a mediocre Christian and still get to heaven. For me, it’s not a matter of a debt that needs to be paid, but my love prompts me to live my life actively pursuing a closer walk with the Lord.

But why do I love Him?

The “daughters of Jerusalem” asked the Shulammite that question. The beautiful Shulammite is frantically searching for her beloved and asks the daughters of Jerusalem to help her. They respond, “What is your beloved more than another beloved, that you should give us such a charge?” After all, what makes the Lord so special?

I was struck by the Shulammite’s answer. She didn’t say, “Well, he brings me gifts, he treats me well, he tells me I’m beautiful, he’s financially stable, etc.” She doesn’t say what he’s done. Without hesitation, she starts at his head and goes down to his feet describing him himself. Now I don’t know what the Lord looks like, but the Bible does tell us about His personality and character, not just what He’s done.

So here’s a list I’ve been compiling, I’d love it if you all added to it!!!

The qualities of the Man I’ve given my heart to:

He was hated without a cause, and loved me without one!

He loves what is good.Truth finds its source in Him.

He is kind. On His tongue is the “law of kindness.” And on the verge of being betrayed, He greets Judas with the title “friend.”

He is strong. I can run to Him and know He can and will protect and guard me.

He is gentle. “His gentleness has made me great.”

He is just. A just and even balance is His delight.

He is no “respecter of persons.”

He is merciful. His heart breaks over those who choose death over Him.

He is faithful, even when I am faithless. His faithfulness is dependent not on my actions, but on His character.

He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

He is not proud, even though He has every reason in the world to be. He doesn’t defend or insist on His rights. “He did not think equality with God something to be grasped or firmly retained…but humbled Himself to take on the form of a man.”

He is revolted by sin. Yet He came to seek and save those who were lost. He hates the sin but loves the sinner, and can make that distinction without hypocrisy.

He is not a hypocrite. Anything He says, I can trust and believe, because it is true.

He is the type of person who children love and climb all over. “Allow the little children to come to Me…”

He welcomes everyone from the woman caught in adultery to the knowledgeable Nicodemus.

He is not abrasive, yet talked more about hell and sin than anyone else in the Bible. He is good.

Everything He does and thinks is good.

Joy epitomizes Him, yet He would be called “the Man of sorrows and familiar with grief” so He could say “enter into the joy of thy Lord.”

He is like music. He has all these odd intervals from seemingly discordant opposing qualities; yet these intervals make up the most beautiful and intense symphony.

He is constantly surprising me. (How can heaven be dull????)

He is wisdom itself.

He cares about the little things.

He is an extravagant giver. “Though He was rich, yet He became poor, that we through His poverty might become rich.”

He is truly great, as He always takes the lowest place.

Soon, every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that He is Lord of all.

Even though He knows my frame, that it is but dust, He chooses to place His love on me and make me fit to be His bride.

He knows me completely, yet loves me entirely. (I used to think, if someone really knew me they wouldn’t love me…but He does!!!)

He is so sufficient, that He can become my sufficiency.

He is infinite in His power. “All power has been given to Me in heaven and earth.” He is not limited.

He is infinitely resourceful. He seeks those He loves, and doesn’t give up. We’re so quick to give up on Him, but He never ever gives up on me.

He always has the right words to say! (He’s promised to help me with that)

He never ever leaves. Regardless of what I do, He will never walk out. “Forsake thee or leave thee, never will I.”

He is sensitive yet strong. There is nothing weak about Him.

He is always available to give me His full attention.

He is delighted when I confide in Him. “He reserves the right to give us better than what we asked for.”

He is patient.

He is willing to wait.

He bears all things, believes all things, and hopes all things.

He never fails me.

He never disappoints.

He is grace and truth.

He is thoughtful. "Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders which You have done, and Your thoughts toward us; There is none to compare with You. If I would declare and speak of them, they would be too numerous to count."He is the God of all comfort. (When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul.)

He changes those He touches. You can’t brush up against Him without being profoundly changed.

He is loyal.

He is determined.

He is quick to forgive (it’s the glory of a wiseman to overlook a transgression/offense)(PLEASE ADD!!!!)

There is no one like Him. (To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One. Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: He calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that He is strong in power; not one faileth)

Truly, “He is altogether lovely. THIS is my beloved, and THIS is my friend.”

No comments: