Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Unexpected Blessings

"The Lord reserves the right to give us more
than we could ever dream or imagine."
Do you find that you are constantly underestimating the Lord’s goodness? Over my birthday people went out of their way to make me feel valued and special, most writing notes and some sending gifts. The overwhelming feeling I had was definitely one of gratitude. I’m also so grateful to the Lord who blessed me with those friendships. This is why I wanted to write this post, I want to share how He isn’t limited by our lack of imagination.

My beautiful friend Elaini wrote her birthday wish for me,
“I pray that your love for your Savior will grow deeper everyday and the things of this world will be seen for what they are, and the things of heaven be more than real. May grace continue to abound in your life and may your light that already shines brightly radiate stronger.”
I loved that! To see “the things of this world for what they are” and view life from a heavenly perspective would be a great gift indeed! How incredible that in a world where values are subjective and tolerance prized more than truth we have a sure Anchor to keep us rooted and grounded in the Truth (John 14:6). How interesting that Pilate asked “What is truth?” when Truth Himself was standing right in front of that confused Roman. Col 2:3 proclaims the incredible truth that in the Lord "are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." When we have Him, we have the treasure of heaven.

As I was pondering her birthday wish and thanking the Lord for her, I was struck by how much she meant to me although I only met her a few weeks ago. C.S. Lewis wrote,
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one!”
“Kindred spirits” from the moment we met, our friendship has quickly deepened and I eagerly look forward to what the Lord has for us in the future. This goes back to me underestimating the Lord’s ability to bless us. I met Elaini when I went to a party as a favor to my brothers and the hope of seeing a friend for a moment. I knew that friend would be really busy, but wanted the chance to see her again. Anyway, it was as if the Lord was saying, “Ah, you thought you were going to spend an awkward evening with strangers because William asked you to, but I reserve the right to give you so much more.” Apparently brilliant or related minds think alike, for a few hours later I was telling my mom how excited I was about Elaini’s friendship when she said, “Isn’t it amazing how the Lord brought you guys together? Isn’t that just like Him?” The Lord is not limited by anything but our unbelief, and He delights to bless us! How could we not love Someone like that?

Elizabeth Barrett Browning was right when she wrote,
"God's gifts put man's best dreams to shame."

No comments: