Tuesday, October 7, 2008

mysteries

What do you do when the Lord doesn't seem to make sense?

When He allows events to occur that seem in direct contradiction to His character?

The age old question "Why" has echoed down the centuries and still carries the weight of anguished souls crying out for a reason. Although it is nice to understand why the Lord allows some things to happen, ultimately we have to be willing to trust Him. Some things are too great for us to understand, and quite frankly, the Lord has no need or responsibility to explain Himself to us. Currently my heart is breaking over the terminal illness of my favorite uncle, and I have no answer for why the Lord is allowing cancer to kill him at the age of 54. However, the Lord does not need to tell me why. It is enough to know that He allowed it to happen, and He is good. Trust means very little if it requires answers and explanations.

Events will occur that I cannot explain. I don't need to. I know the One who knows everything and I've found Him to be immeasurably worthy of trust. I will continue to believe He is good regardless of circumstances. I will continue to believe He is Love regardless of pain. I will continue to believe He is righteous regardless of all the injustice in the world. And I will continue to believe that someday He'll return and set everything right.

1 comment:

Doug P. Baker said...

Intense. Very intense.