Thursday, August 14, 2008

faithfulness

Solomon asked, “Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?”

I love the Lord's faithfulness. All of the promises of God hinge on Him being faithful in accomplishing them. God's Man and mankind's God is the One who is faithful and true.

Truly, "Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies." After my father died I was comforted by this verse in Psalms, "Shall Thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or Thy faithfulness in destruction?" His faithfulness is even seen in the decay and destruction of our bodies. We need not fear death because He has conquered it and we have victory in Him. I can go to my death without fear because of the God who is faithful.

Two of my favorite verses on faithfulness are the following, found in Timothy and Isaiah.

If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.
But Zion said, The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. ...Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of My hands...
It's not hard to join Isaiah in saying, "O Lord, thou art my God; I will exalt Thee, I will praise Thy name; for Thou hast done wonderful things; Thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth."

No comments: