Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What Does It Mean to Judge?

It's a sad indictment on our nation when the most commonly quoted verse is Matthew 7:1, "Judge not, that ye be not judged." I've heard variants on that verse so many times that it seems as if Christendom has a great fear of the word. If you're discussing truths, the conversation will be over when a person pointedly asks, "Be careful not to judge." As those of you who know me well could attest, I hate conflict. I truly hate it. Thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach. The last thing in the world I want to do is "judge" anyone or anything. That said, I've read verses like 1 Corinthians 5:12 that say, "For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church?" I was thoroughly confused, so I did what any logical person would. I set about finding answers asking the questions, "Are we ever supposed to judge?" and "What does it mean to judge?" A much better word for "judging" is "discerning," as when most people hear the word "judging" they think "condemning" and the actual Greek word implies the ability to discern.

After doing some research and reading a very good book by R.P. Amos, it turns out that there are four times we are not to judge and four areas where we are. Let me know what you all think!

Do NOT Judge

1. Do NOT Judge People's Motives (1 Corinthians 4:3, 5). This should be fairly obvious to anyone who is honest with themselves. How many times have we felt misunderstood? Someone once said, "We expect others to judge us by our heart motives yet judge them by their actions." No one but the Lord knows the heart of another person, and that's why He's the ONLY One who can judge their motivations.

2. Do NOT Judge Outward Appearance (John 7:24; 1 Samuel 16:7). It's so easy to get caught up on someone's appearance, yet we are told very clearly that we're not to judge that. It is between that person and their Lord, who can understand their motives and sees who they really are.

3. Do NOT Judge Someone's Liberty (Romans 14:2, 13). This one is really good for me to remember. If the Bible doesn't have clear directions on truths, then that area is determined by the individual's liberty. The issue of meat offered to idols is probably the most commonly cited example. Regardless of our personal convictions on these issues, we have to respect the liberty of others. My liberty is bound by the conscience of the weakest believer.

4. Do NOT Judge Someone When You're Doing the Same Thing (Matthew 7:1, 3)! It's astounding to me how easy it is to be a hypocrite. Being the visual person that I am, I love the illustration of the beam in my eye and the sliver in the eye of my fellow believer. How comforting it is that as I walk after the Lord with my whole heart and occupy my mind with the Altogether Lovely One, then He'll change me to be like Him, and in Him there is no hypocrisy at all.

You SHOULD Judge

1. We SHOULD Judge Ourselves (1 Corinthians 11:31). This one is so clear I can't think of anything to add to it. Obviously, we don't accomplish our own sanctification, but we have been bought with a price and belong to Someone else. As Paul said in Romans 6, "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?"

2. We SHOULD Judge Actions (Philippians 1:9-10). This is completely different from judging someones heart motives. We are to discern between what is right and wrong. If I tell you stealing is wrong, you might think I'm judging you. But in reality, I'm simply agreeing with the Judge of the whole earth.

3. We SHOULD Judge Doctrine (1 Corinthians 14:29; 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21). Only the Lord never made a mistake, and we are to diligently discern what doctrines are truly from the Bible, and what are the lies of Satan. I need to be careful to hold up my beliefs to the light of Scripture and discard what doesn't agree with God. Unity is incredibly important, but we must be unified about the Truth.

4. We SHOULD Judge Sin in the Church (1 Corinthians 5:12-13). This goes without saying. If it's the Lord's Church, and if He's the Head, then He has a right to say what should and should not happen. At the same time we judge sin in the Church, Paul makes it very, very, very clear that you still treat the person as a brother or sister and only talk to them in love.

Please let me know what you all think! I found it so encouraging to realize that the Judge of All will do what is right.

No comments: