Clinical psychologist Patricia Dalton wrote in an article for the Washington Post,
Far from making Americans happier…the need to acquire material goods has placed more stress on families. Today, parents work longer hours, leaving less time for home life. As a result, both marriages and parent-children relationships suffer. children have reacted by either becoming more status conscious or by rejecting status altogether. By confusing wants with needs, American families have forgotten that material gain, ultimately, cannot make one happy.
It is so easy to forget that life does not consist of things. Our culture is a materialistic one, but that does not mean we have to play the status game. In a world where peace is elusive and happiness tied to circumstances, it is vitally important to know where true contentment occurs. Paul tells Timothy that godliness with contentment is great gain, so obviously this business of figuring out where true contentment is found is one worthy of a diligent search. Thankfully, we know exactly how we can achieve true contentment, and the startling truth is that it's actually already been won for us.
One of my favorite verses is found in Hebrews 13.
…Be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
What is the answer to being content with what we have? It's the Lord. I can be content with whatever I have in this life, because I know what's in the next. Think about it, I have the Lord and if I have Him, then I have everything worthwhile. The Speaker tells us that wisdom is the principle thing; therefore get wisdom! Paul writes that in the Lord are hid ALL the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. If I have Him, I have everything. How can I not view myself as rich? However, I don't just have Him for a moment, I have the promise of the One who cannot lie that He will never leave me. I have the God of the universe holding my hand as I face life, and He will never let go.
How can I not be content?
No comments:
Post a Comment